Block is one company built from many blocks, all united by the same purpose of economic empowerment. The blocks that form our foundational teams - People, Finance, Counsel, Hardware, Information Security, Platform Infrastructure Engineering, and more - provide support and guidance at the corporate level. They work across business groups and around the globe, spanning time zones and disciplines to develop inclusive People policies, forecast finances, give legal counsel, safeguard systems, nurture new initiatives, and more. Every challenge creates possibilities, and we need different perspectives to see them all. Bring yours to Block.
The Bitcoin Mining software team is a newly formed team responsible for prototyping, designing, and delivering software applications to support Block's state-of-the-art custom Bitcoin mining chip. We work closely with the ASIC, Electrical Engineering, and Embedded Engineering teams to redefine what Bitcoin mining looks like.
We believe Bitcoin plays an essential role in the future of the world's economy. Our goal is to build solutions that can help decentralize Bitcoin mining and enable individuals who want to participate in the system to do effortlessly. We believe the way forward is combining great hardware with software that is approachable, human-centered, and easy to understand.
We are a small, fast-moving, dynamic team with an abundance of growth and opportunities to make an impact!
* As a senior founding member of the Bitcoin Mining software team, you will be responsible for experimenting, prototyping, and building backend services and applications to support our Bitcoin mining initiative.
* You will also help define our team's development strategies, best practices, and collaboration techniques while focusing on an open-source first approach.
* You are not afraid of ambiguity or loosely defined specs. You are happy to work with product managers, designers, firmware and mobile engineers to scope out work from initial concepts all the way through to shipping in production.
* You will plan and lead complex cross-functional initiatives to create and maintain technical systems. You will write readable, well-crafted, and maintainable code.
* You will build for the future by clearly communicating the cost-benefit of a given solution and advocating for the best path forward.
* You will embrace opportunities to stretch yourself by learning new technologies. You will mentor others around you to grow as well through knowledge sharing, design reviews and pair programming.
* At least 7+ years of experience building backend services and infrastructure.
* Ideally you have experience developing Bitcoin-related applications.
* Interest in the opportunities and challenges that come with building a new product area from the ground up.
* Experience building products and services end-to-end from technical design, implementation, testing, to delivery.
* A capacity to understand complex technical concepts and help your team make decisions to move forward, as well as communicating those decisions up.
* An eagerness to share your ideas, and openness to those of others.
* Exceptional communication skills in written and oral form (describing ideas, discussing approaches, presentations, status updates).
* A strong desire to perform and continuous curiosity to grow as an engineer, and educate other team members.
* First-hand experience leading and shipping software at large scale.
* Deep understanding of cloud concepts and technologies.
* Experience architecting distributed systems.
* Experience building scalable and low latency APIs.
* Interest in modeling complex domains and building resilient systems to support high-throughput applications.
Nice to have:
* Experience working in Rust
* Knowledge of Bitcoin mining pools
* AWS Cloud Products
* gRPC, Protocol Buffers, GraphQL
* Experience maintaining CI/CD pipelines
* Contributions to open source projects
To find a location's zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Benefits include the following:
* Healthcare coverage
* Retirement Plans including company match
* Employee Stock Purchase Program
* Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
* Paid parental and caregiving leave
* Paid time off
* Learning and Development resources
* Paid Life insurance, AD&D. and disability benefits
* Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We're working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we're doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.
The information provided on this website does not constitute investment advice, financial advice, trading advice, or any other sort of advice and you should not treat any of the website's content as such. Crypteligence.com does not recommend that any cryptocurrency should be bought, sold, or held by you. Do conduct your own due diligence and consult your financial advisor before making any investment decisions.